Admissions for admission to graduate programs at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology for the upcoming semester are now open. GIST Graduate Scholarships are granted to all admitted Korean and international graduate students. Those interested in receiving this scholarship should apply to and be admitted to one of the university’s graduate programs.
The scholarship is completely supported and available for study in a variety of university programs (science, engineering, and technology). Applicants can pursue a Master’s, PhD, or Integrated MS-PhD degree program. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for international students who want to study in South Korea.
The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), founded by the Korean government in 1993, is a research-oriented institution specializing in applied science and engineering. The institute is based in Gwangju, South Korea, and is one of the country’s major research institutions.
- Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST), South Korea, is the host institution.
- Field of Study: Programs are available at the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, the School of Materials Science and Engineering, the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Earth Sciences and Environmental Engineering, the School of Life Science, the Department of Physics and Photon Science, the Department of Chemistry, the Department of Biomedical Science and Engineering, the School of Integrated Technology, and the Artificial Intelligence Graduate School.
- Number of Awards: Not specified.
- Duration: Master’s Program (4 semesters), Doctoral Program (6 semesters), or MS-PhD Program (10 semesters).
- Eligible countries: Open to All nationalities.
Selected candidates for the GIST scholarship will have the following benefits:
- Tuition fully supported (All students): 3,415,000 won per semester
- Monthly Stipends (All International Students)
- 140,000 won per month for M.S. students
- 295,000 won per month for Ph.D. students
- Meal allowance: nearly 100,000 won per month. Students should have completed at least 9 credits in the previous semester to benefit from a and b. A GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester is required to benefit from c.
- International student allowance: 120,000 won per month. For candidates with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (out of 4.5) in the previous semester
- Research Assistantship (All students participating in research projects)
- 5,461,249 won per year of M.S.
- 12,513,688 won per year of PhD
- Housing (All Students)
- Health Insurance (All International Students):
- 60% of National Health Insurance is supported. Other options may exist.
- Annual medical checkup
- Flight Reimbursement (All Incoming International Students): Reimbursement for a one-way flight to Korea.
- The one-time matriculation fee of 680,000 won is charged to all newly admitted students to be enrolled. Some students may be exempt from this fee.
GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students Eligibility
Applicants must be admitted to a graduate program at GIST to be eligible for this university award. As a result, applicants must:
- Satisfy the admission requirements of their department;
- Candidates for the master’s program must have a bachelor’s degree or will be awarded a bachelor’s degree by the first day of class, or have an equivalent educational background.
- Applicants to the Ph.D. program must have a master’s degree or will be awarded a master’s degree by the first day of class, or have an equivalent educational background.
- Satisfy the English language requirements (minimum scores): 80 on the TOEFL iBT, 550 on the TOEFL PBT, 6.5 on the Academic IELTS, 750 on the TOEIC, and 285 on the TOEIC (NEW TEPS).
How to Apply for the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology Scholarship
GIST scholarships are granted to all admitted graduate students at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology. As a result, prospective applicants who want to take advantage of this chance to study in Asia must complete the requirements outlined below in order to be admitted and automatically qualify for GIST scholarships.
- Make sure you meet your program requirements
- Prepare all required documents
- Hit the apply button below to submit the online application.
- Upload all required documents to the online application platform.
- Application Form Online. To establish an account and access the form, please click the Apply button below.
- Transcripts and Certified Degree/Diploma: A certified copy of the official bachelor’s and master’s degrees (for doctoral applicants) from the institution(s) attended or attending should be submitted. Certified documents with an apostille (or a certificate from the Korean embassy) are ideal.
- Two Recommendation Letters: Recommendation letters will be sent directly to recommenders. Each of the two recommenders will receive an automatic email with instructions on how to submit their recommendation letters online. Obtain your recommendation letters as soon as possible, and give your recommender enough time to finish them before the deadline. Please keep in mind that recommendation letters must be received in the system by the deadline for document submission.
- Passport scanned copy;
- Report on the English test:
- Minimum scores: 80 on the TOEFL iBT, 550 on the TOEFL PBT, 6.5 on the Academic IELTS, 750 on the TOEIC, and 285 on the TOEIC (NEW TEPS).
- Tests must be taken within two years before the deadline date.
- Only original copies will be accepted.
- For IELTS only, photocopies will be accepted.
- The Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology code for ETS is 0144.
- Conditional Admissions (Extended of Deadline for English Proficiency Test Score Report).
The application date for the Fall Semester (beginning in September 2023) is April 14, 2023. Please check the official page for more information on the GIST Scholarships for Graduate Students.
Please click here to download the form. For more details on application documents, please click on this link.