How to Study in Canada Without IELTS: Did you know that some people do not feel it is possible to study in Canada without IELTS? Historically, IELTS was one of the language tests or exams used to assess the level of ability in the English language. Many overseas students have found the test difficult to write, and they continue to rewrite it in order to achieve a higher score and win admission to the university.
Currently, many universities in Canada are waiving the exam in order enable overseas students to have easy entrance to any university of their choice. As a result, anyone planning to enroll in one of Canada’s institutions does not need to worry about taking the exam. Aside from the exorbitant fees that international students have been paying to write the exam, stress has been a problem for many pupils.
Various efforts are being implemented to allow students to study in Canada without taking IELTS. Students can enroll in several Canadian colleges by submitting a reference letter from their prior faculties to demonstrate their English language proficiency. International students are likewise excluded from taking the IELTS in order to get admission to Canada.
Reasons Influencing the IELTS for Students
There are various reasons influencing students to avoid writing IETLTS, and here they are:
- The price
- The exam structure
- The time duration
- The speaking section
1. The Price:
This is one of the elements that influences or deters students from taking the IELTS. The payment fee for writing the examination as an overseas student is extremely expensive due to the high price that students must pay.
2. Exam Organization:
Any student who wishes to take the IELTS exams must be quite confident. Writing long and brief essays is required for the examination, which has contributed to the high number of candidates who choose not to study in Canada.
3. The Time Frame:
IELTS exams typically take more than a day to complete due to the speaking component, which is separate from the other sections of the exam. As a result, it was seen to be difficult for students.
4. The Section on Speaking:
This section of the exam requires candidates to communicate with the interviewer one-on-one. Any pupil who lacks confidence may find it tough to confront the interviewer.
Some Alternatives to the IELTS Exam for Studying in Canada
Many students throughout the world wish to study in Canada, but one of the prerequisites is to demonstrate fluency in English or French through language examinations such as IELTS, TOEFL, or others. However, there are other alternatives to take the IELTS exam in order to study in Canada. Here are several possibilities:
- Waivers of language requirements: Some Canadian universities may waive the language requirement for students who have already completed their study in an English or French medium institution. Check with the university of interest to determine if any language waivers are available.
- Language Preparation Programs: Language preparation programs are available at several Canadian universities for international students who do not meet the language requirements. These programs can assist you in improving your language abilities to the level required for university entrance.
- Alternative language competency tests: In lieu of IELTS, some colleges may accept the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English (PTE), or Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE). Check with the university of interest to check if these tests are accepted.
- Studying in French: If you are fluent in French, you can study in Canadian French language institutions without having to take an English language competency test.
- Participating in a bilingual program: Some Canadian institutions have bilingual programs in which students can study in both English and French. This could be an option for students who are fluent in one language but not in the other.
Alternatives to Study in Canada Without IELTS
There are other tests or examinations that can be taken by students who have no interest in studying in Canada without IELTS, and they are:
English proficiency tests such as the Pearson English Language Test (PTE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Proof of studying in an English school for a minimum of at least 4 years
- Proof showing English language as the official language of your country
- Enrolling in a Canadian English language school for either a year or a semester.
- If you can have any of this as a student, you can study in Canada without IELTS.
Universities for Students to Study in Canada without IELTS
The various Canadian institutions allow students to study without writing IELTS:
1. Winnipeg University:
This is one of the universities in Canada where students can study without having to take the IELTS exam. The IELTS test is not required at this school, but proof of English language proficiency is. English Language Program (ELP) is the type of English test that they write here.
2. Brock University:
Students can still take the IELTS, although it is not required. Without IELTS, international students can apply to study in Canada by taking the TOEFL. The test has a minimum score that students must get in order to study at this university.
3. Saskatchewan University:
This institution has employed many pupils from all around the world. They accept a total score of 86, with a minimum of 19 in each section of the exam. Students may also take the CanTEST, which is identical to the IELTS exam.
Overall, there are choices for overseas students who want to study in Canada but do not want to take the IELTS exam. However, you should verify with the university of your choice to see what options are available and what their specific language needs are.